Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Canning your own chicken

Reasons why I started canning chicken and beef are:

IF YOU HAVE A CAN OF CHICKEN, YOU CAN MAKE A MEAL!!

1st- I use it all the time. I can cook tons of dozens of dinners in much less time just by cracking open a jar of meat.

2nd- It is much cheaper canning the meat my self. I found boneless skinless chicken thighs for .99 cents a pound at Food City in AZ all the time. I canned tons of it. I also find boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.49 on sale. Have you seen how much it is for a can of chicken lately?

3rd- I know what is in my canned meat.

4th- If my freezer goes out I wont loose all the money I spent on meat. We have had our freezer go out on us twice in the last 16 years.

5th- It lasts a long time. My dad opened a jar of turkey he canned 13 years ago last summer. It tasted just as good as if he had just canned it.

Things I can make with canned meat. Soups, stews, enchiladas, casseroles, bbq beef or chicken sandwiches, lots of kinds of burritos, chicken salad, green chili, red chili, chicken and rice, Chicken or beef in gravy, stroganoff, a can of chicken chicken on egg noodles.......... The list goes on and on

My favorite way to can meat is the method called raw packing. First start with clean pint or quart bottles. Really wash them good along with the lids and rings. Next cut away the fat and other thing from your meat. Pack it into your clean bottles as tight as you can. I put one t spoon of my bbq seasoning on top. Then you take a wood or plastic wand or spoon to go around the edge of the jar to get out as much air as possible. then you put the lids on and put them in your pressure caner. The pints have to cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The quarts cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was taught to cook them a 15lbs pressure. I love having canned chicken and beef on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment